We practice with the Precepts of a Zen Peacemaker
Three Treasures of a Zen Peacemaker
Recognizing my place in the Circle of Life, I take refuge in:
- Buddha, the oneness of life
- Dharma, the diversity of life
- Sangha, where oneness and diversity come together in harmony
Three Tenets of a Zen Peacemaker
Taking refuge in The Three Treasures, I vow to live a life of:
- Not-Knowing, by giving up fixed ideas about ourselves and the universe
- Bearing Witness to the joy and suffering of the world
- Taking Action that arises from Not-Knowing and Bearing Witness
Ten Precepts of a Zen Peacemaker:
Embodying The Three Tenets, I practice these Precepts:
- Recognizing that I am not separate from all that is. This is the precept of Non-Killing.
- Being satisfied with what I have. This is the precept of Non-Stealing.
- Meeting the diversity of life with respect and dignity. This is the precept of Chaste Conduct.
- Listening and speaking from the heart. This is the precept of Non-Lying.
- Cultivating a mind that sees clearly. This is the precept of Not Being Ignorant.
- Bearing witness to the offering of each moment. This is the precept of Not Talking About Others’ Errors And Faults.
- Speaking what I perceive to be the truth. This is the precept of Not Elevating Myself And Blaming Others.
- Using all the ingredients of my life. This is the precept of Not Being Stingy.
- Bearing witness to emotions that arise. This is the precept of Not Holding On To Anger.
- Honoring my life as a Peacemaker. This is the precept of Not Disparaging The Three Treasures.
Living The Ten Precepts and acknowledging that I exist within larger systems that perpetuate suffering, I also commit to building:
- a culture of nonviolence and a reverence for all life.
- a sustainable and ethical economy.
- a culture of inclusion and a life based on truthfulness.
- equal rights for all.
- stewardship of the earth.
The Four Great Bodhisattva Vows
Creations are numberless, I vow to serve them.
Delusions are inexhaustible, I vow to transform them.
Reality is boundless, I vow to perceive it.
The awakened way is unsurpassable, I vow to embody it.